Quickwit, Inc. is the company behind Quickwit, the next-generation open-source search engine for petabyte-scale data. Founded in late 2020 and incorporated in the U.S., the company has raised a seed round from two VC firms and is composed of three technical co-founders and two engineers. Paul Masurel, the founder of Quickwit, is the creator of tantivy, a highly performant search engine library written in Rust that has rallied a great community of users since its inception.
About the Role
We are looking for an engineering generalist with extensive experience writing Rust code and leading technical architecture. Working with large data sets, dealing with complex distributed systems, and developing backend services should be second nature.
Our search engine is coded in Rust and the following features are on our roadmap:
- distributed indexing
- aggregations (min, max, count, sum, avg, ...) for search queries
- gossip protocol for cluster formation
We bring particular attention to high performance, high reliability, and code quality.
What you will do
- Design, build and maintain core components of Quickwit and tantivy.
- Work with the founders on customer discovery and take part in the definition of our product design and architecture.
- Collaborate with other engineers and product management to solve hard problems the right way.
What we are looking for
- Extensive experience in Rust, C, or C++.
- Ability and willingness to own projects end-to-end.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, as needed.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Experience leading open-source projects.
- Experience building distributed systems and writing high-performance applications.
- Experience building data infrastructure.
Our team is fully distributed, and our members work from Japan, France, Guinea, and the U.S. However, this position is open for engineers able to work in European or Asian time zones only.
How to apply?
If you're passionate about software development and eager to learn, we'd like to meet you. Please send us an email with your resume or LinkedIn profile at email@example.com.
One thing we have found helpful to communicate in this first email: some projects, pieces of code, or blog posts you are particularly proud of.